As Summer 2017 approaches, the John J. Nerden RTC Camp staff is happy to welcome back our many old friends, and reach out to the new ones by sending out our camper application. As a refresher for returning families, and to first time camper families, we send along the following information to help you prepare for a great camp season:
1. ELIGIBILITY: Children and adults with intellectual disabilities are eligible to enroll at camp. Camper age may range from 3 years* through adulthood. Eligible campers are those who the camp directors feel will benefit from the program, and whose behavior will not seriously interfere with the physical and material welfare of other campers, volunteers, or staff. Eligibility decisions are made at the sole discretion of the camp directors and may be changed at any time throughout the summer season, if needed. *Campers aged 3-5 would be part of our half-day preschool program which runs if there is sufficient preschool aged enrollment.
2. CAMPER APPLICATION: Please complete and return. Applications must be mailed to P.O. Box 2617, Meriden, CT 06450. Applications should be received by May 31st or brought to the Open House on Saturday, June 3rd. Incomplete applications will not be processed. Please note: No child will be allowed at camp without access to parent or emergency contact person by phone at all times.
3. REGISTRATION: Camp is open for 7 weeks. Campers can sign up for any days/weeks that work for their schedule. This application will be reviewed by the Camp Directors and medical staff. You will be contacted if there are questions concerning the application. For returning campers once paperwork is sent in, unless you hear from us, your child MAY begin camp on June 26, 2017. New campers are not allowed to start unless there has been a confirmation from the director that the camper is all set.
4. MEDICAL FORMS: Please have your child's Doctor complete the attached forms. (A copy of the school physical done within the last three years is acceptable.) The Medical Forms MUST accompany the application in order for your child to attend camp and must be signed by a parent and physician. Please be sure to sign ALL MEDICAL FORMS. Medical Forms I, II and III are to be completed and signed by the medical doctor.
5. MEDICATION: If your child is required to take medication at camp, a copy of the Doctor's prescription MUST accompany the original pharmacy bottle. This must be brought on the first day.
** Please note the additional requirement of x-rays to rule out Atlanto Dislocation in Down Syndrome Children.
6. ABUSE AND NEGLECT: It is the policy of the John J. Nerden RTC Camp to follow the state law and report child abuse or neglect. A full and complete written statement of our policy and procedure is posted at camp.
All forms must be completely filled out and signed before a child can attend camp.
7. TRANSPORTATION: For Meriden/Wallingford residents, please refer to the Bus Schedule. Please write YOUR bus stop on the camper application. Scheduled times for pick-up and return may vary slightly the first week, as we try to accommodate all of our campers. It is recommended that you arrive at the bus stop 10-15 minutes early. Please indicate what the transportation will be if not one of our buses.
8. CLOTHING/PERSONAL BELONGINGS: Please clearly label all clothing. A bathing suit and towel are needed daily. Sneakers rather than flip-flops or sandals are suggested. If your child is not toilet trained or is prone to accidents, please send a change of clothes. Please also send in sunscreen. We recommend keeping a sweatshirt in campers’ bags for cooler weather conditions. We are not responsible for any lost or stolen items and strongly discourage bringing any valuables to Camp.
9. LUNCH: Campers need to bring a bag lunch with a drink everyday except Wednesday. A cookout lunch of hot dog or hamburger, snack, and drink is provided each Wednesday beginning starting June 28, 2016. Any dietary restrictions that would affect your child's participation in the weekly cookout should be carefully noted on the application. Soda, lemonade, and iced tea are available for $1.00.
10. CAMP HOURS: Camp runs from 9:00 AM until 3:00 PM. Campers may begin arriving by bus or other transportation at 9:00 AM. Buses leave camp at 3:00 PM. If a camper has their own transportation they need to be picked up at 3:00 PM. Our camp activities of Arts & Crafts, Music, Outdoor Recreation, Indoor Recreation and Swimming begin at 10:00 AM preceded by Opening Ceremonies at 9:30 AM.
Parent Note: Our pre-school program runs from 9:00 AM to 12 Noon. Our bus route to camp will be available, but parents are responsible for providing transportation home from camp for their preschool children at Noon.
11. REACH: This will be the eighteenth year of our REACH PROGRAM (Recreational Entertainment After Camp Hours). This program of special activities and dinner runs from 3:00 PM to 8:00 PM on Tuesday and Thursday for five weeks out of the seven-week session. All participating campers will be picked up by parents at 8:00 PM. *If your child is selected to participate for a REACH Night, an application form will be sent home with your child. This program costs $8 per session.
*Camper participation in REACH is by invitation only at the discretion of the Camp Directors.
12. RAINY DAYS/SEVERE HEAT: Please use your judgment in sending your child to camp on a rainy day. Even though we are open on rainy days, we have limited indoor facilities. Directors may make the decision that the Rainy Day program is not appropriate for certain campers. Parents should be prepared to make alternate arrangements if necessary. Additionally, when severe heat is forecasted, we may send home a notice discouraging attendance due to limited facilities with air conditioning.
13. OPEN HOUSE: We will host an Open House on Saturday, June 3rd from 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM. Hot dogs will be served. We strongly encourage all new families to attend.
If you have any questions, please feel free to call
Carissa Rindfleisch at (203) 213-5990 or
Sue Chenard at (203) 213-4798.
Our camp Board of Directors and Camp Staff are looking forward to another great summer.