As Summer 2019 approaches, the John J. Nerden RTC Camp staff is happy to welcome back our many old friends, and reach out to the new ones by sending out our volunteer application. As a refresher for returning volunteers, and to first time volunteers, we send along the following information to help you prepare for a great camp season:
1. ELIGIBILITY: Middle and High School students who are in good standing in their school and community. Two references are required: one must be a current teacher.
2. VOLUNTEER APPLICATION: Please complete and return the attached application. Applications must be mailed to P.O. Box 2617, Meriden, CT 06450. Applications should be received by May 31st or may be brought to orientation on June 1st. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
3. VOLUNTEER ORIENTATION/OPEN HOUSE: We will be having a volunteer orientation on Saturday, June 1st from 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM. Volunteers will be given a tour of camp, a volunteer handbook, learn more about camp, and meet the staff and other volunteers.
4. MEDICAL FORMS: The Medical Forms MUST accompany the application in order for you to volunteer at camp and must be signed by a parent and physician. Please be sure to sign ALL MEDICAL FORMS. Medical Forms I and III are mandatory for all volunteers to have completed and signed by a medical doctor. Please note that it is only mandatory to fill out Medical Form II if you will be taking medication during camp hours.
5. LUNCH: Volunteers need to bring a bag lunch with a drink every day except Wednesday. A cookout lunch of hot dog or hamburger, potato chips, and drink is provided each Wednesday beginning this year on June 26th.
6. CAMP HOURS: Camp runs from 9:00 AM until 3:00 PM. Campers and volunteers may begin arriving by bus or other transportation at 9:00 AM. Buses leave camp at 3:00 PM. If volunteers are using alternate transportation they need to be picked up at 3:00 PM. Volunteers will assist with our daily camp activities, including Arts & Crafts, Music, Outdoor Recreation, Indoor Recreation and Swimming.
7. PERSONAL BELONGINGS: Camp Nerden is not responsible for any lost or stolen items. We discourage bringing any valuables. Cell phones will not be permitted.
If you have any questions, please feel free to call Sue Chenard at 203-631-8948 or Rebecca Hanlon at (203) 631-2672. We hope you will join us for a memorable summer!
All forms must be completely filled out and signed before you can volunteer at camp.